Whether you have a donkey, an elderly family pony, a riding club horse or an advanced 3 day eventer all equines may benefit from physiotherapy. All equines are athletes and need to be treated as such.
Performance horses may benefit from pre competition physiotherapy as well as post competition treatment, whilst your family pet may benefit from a check up every 3-6 months.
It is one of Gemma’s passions to design rehabilitation training programmes for her equine patients. Whether it is to encourage range of movement in the elderly patients or to help take the performance patient to their next competition level.
Have you noticed any of the following?
- Stiffness through the back
- Reluctance to work in an outline
- Resistance on one rein more so than the other
- Saddle fitting issues
- Toe dragging
- Uneven stride length
- Joint flexibility
- Neurological signs
- Scar tissue following an accident
- Difficulty getting up and down
There are many conditions with which physiotherapy alongside veterinary medicine for the equine can make a significant difference. They include:
- Back problems
- Muscle atrophy/wastage
- Wound management
- Tendon and ligament injuries including Check/collateral ligament injuries.
- Nerve paralysis
- Following Gemma’s assessment and treatment you will be supplied with a form detailing all findings, treatment and exercise regime. A copy will automatically be forwarded to your vet. Gemma is always on hand to offer advice, discuss exercise programmes at any time in between treatment visits.